Sherando Spartan AM

PDGA logoSaturday, July 25, 2020 at Sherando Park in Stephens City, Virginia
B-tier · PDGA-sanctioned singles tournament
Part of I81DGS 2020
Part of ODDS 2020

 Follow this tournament

Sherando Spartan AM graphic

About this tournament

FINAL UPDATE on SHERANDO EVENT (Additionally the Cardinal)

(Please read the entire post if you are interested in better understanding my thinking in the last few weeks/days/hours)

Short Version:

The event is postponed until a later date - The Cardinal is as well.
I will be working with our state coordinator to announce the new dates ASAP - hoping by the end of this week, or sooner.
After the new announced dates - everyone registered will be offered a full refund or to have their entry carry over to the new event.
I would ask for everyones patience as these changes are made.
Please understand that this was not an easy decision to make - circumstances went from daily to hourly to minute by minute very rapidly.
I understand that I am disappointing many people, but I sincerely believe that this is the best option and hope that most can respect my decision.
Additionally, there is a very high chance that this decision would have been made for me in the next couple of days via the local government shutting down the parks completely.

Long version:

I, personally, was going head first against the tide willingly. If I thought these efforts would still have any value or a legitimate positive outcome, I would still be on the same path. While, I have my personal objections and skepticism with how government, media, business and overall society are reacting to the COVID 19 - those objections and skepticism quickly became irrelevant when weighing possible positives and negatives of having the event.

Some details of my thinking - reasoning - hopes - actions:
- As an early measure of players inclinations - I considered the fact that very few players dropped out of the event.
- Using that somewhat democratic measure of the will of the players - I was going to do what I could to deliver the event to them.
- There are people signing up even now around 2 AM as I type.
- I was in communication with the park, even typed up the extents we would go to keep everyone safe to share with the CDC representative.
- The case I made for having the event worked, as of now while I am typing this, I have permission to have the event.
- I was going to modify everything - all the procedures were to be adapted for safety.
- Finances have been invested, plans made, communications coordinated...
- The hope was one last FUN get together before everyone retracted from life.
- Weeks and days ahead - everything seemed good to go. GREAT, lets do this last hoorah’!

Then days quickly became hours - the window for the last hoorah’ was rapidly closing. While there is still a small crack left open,
it is just not worth the efforts or risks. If I were to have kept the event on - there is a good chance that within the next few days the governmental powers would simply close the parks completely. I can not imagine the chaos if the parks were officially closed on Friday afternoon - I would have no chance of communicating the cancellation to all participants. All players, including many that are traveling multiple hours, deserve a definite promise that the event is happening - and I can not reasonably make that promise any longer.

With all that said - my final decision was made with a few things in mind:

First, simply weigh the chance of causing even one person harm verse any amount of fun we could possibly have - I do not have the audacity to believe I would not be somewhat accountable for that harm. Even with the harmed person choosing of their own free will to participate, why would I offer up the arena for that to take place when it is completely avoidable all together.
While I do believe that the chances are astronomically low of harm coming to anyone, I can not be willfully ignorant of those chances existing.

Second, with the MANY required and common sense changes necessary to create a safe environment for everyone to participate - it would come at a cost.
That cost would be all social aspects of the event would completely disappear.
No gathering at registration, players meeting, lunch, waiting on second round cards to go up or awards ceremony eliminates
the entire reasoning and goal of one last hoorah’ and FUN time together.

Third, as a TD, I am representing organizations, groups, peers and our sport overall SEPARATELY from the person I am in the rest of my roles in life.
That separation is necessary so that one dissenting personality (Yes, that would be me) does not erode, impair or damage the efforts of the many.

I will continue to hold my beliefs and act according to my own moral compass through these trying times.
I will continue to question authority at every turn, jump off the beaten path as often as possible and hopefully find some love and friends along the way.
However, the above beliefs and actions should be done on MY time and not at anyone else’s expense.

Thank You to everyone for supporting the event and series - this will still be an incredible year. Thank You to Apple Valley and volunteers who put in major work on the course, your efforts are extraordinary.

- Brandon

Refund policy

I81DGS is responsible for all refunds/cancellations.


Sherando Park
Stephens City, VA   Get Directions


Saturday, July 25, 2020
- 9:00am
JULY 25 - JULY 25 - JULY 25

Regsitration - ALL players must check-in.
9:30amROUND 1





Player Divisions & Entry Fees

$10 additional fee for players without current PDGA memberships.
For help choosing a division, see the PDGA guidelines
$40.00FA1Advanced Women
$40.00MA40Amateur 40+
$40.00FA40Amateur Women 40+
$40.00MA50Amateur 50+
$40.00FA50Amateur Women 50+
$40.00FA2Intermediate Women
$40.00FA3Recreational Women
$40.00MJ18Junior 18
$40.00FJ18Junior Girls 18