When the game is doubles and we have an odd number of players, the golfer who gets no partner is playing California or is the Cali. I don't know where this came from but that's what we call it. There are many different formats for California or odd dog in leagues in the area, this is how we do it here.
If there is an odd number of players we'll have 1 cali. And instead of the dreaded 6-somes, well have 4 teams. Two doubles and two calis. We'll have two groups of 3 and not one group of 6. When its needed, we will ask the players before we draw for partners who wants to be cali to step aside and we'll randomly pick the two calis.
- You don't have to pay more or less to play cali
- If you win or cash you get paid as if you were two players.
- Cali gets one extra shot per hole.
- After you throw your mulligan, you can take the best shot of the two.
- If you ace, you only cash if it was your FIRST tee shot. Cali and 2nd shot aces do not get paid.
- You CAN win a ctp on your extra shot.