Portage Lakes DGC

Akron, Ohio     1 course · 18 holes     Driving directions

Dan Clark    June 13, 2011 at 2:18pm

On the info tab I did course corrections about a week ago and nothing's changed. I think Matt has tried too.

katie meloy    June 13, 2011 at 12:32pm

Any one know if the new course layout has been submitted for posting scores?

Tom Randau    June 11, 2011 at 6:06pm

The back 9 has the potential with more clearing and time to make this course the best i've played in NE Ohio. Awesome work to who all was involved. I was never a big fan of this course mainly because of ridiculously long and lots of trees and in the fair ways. There are still small trees that need and should go on the front but the back makes up for alot. It was hard playing through a jungle today but well worth it. There are a couple holes however i feel could've been make into two holes. Had fun and would love to play again.

Carl Peterson    June 8, 2011 at 10:01pm

Outstanding work, and thank you to everyone who helped get the back nine in! Even so, let's plan on a work day on Saturday Jun. 11, 8:30 to 11:00, and play 18 afterward.

Dan Clark    June 8, 2011 at 8:52pm

Back nine is in and playable.. be sure to have a spotter and wear pants

Carl Peterson    June 2, 2011 at 8:54pm

Work day, Sat. June 4 (8:30 - 11:30). The focus will be on setting tee pads and signs on the back nine and moving the brush piles to widen #16's fairway. Stick around afterward to play a round!

Dan'hyzer' Kilgore    May 28, 2011 at 9:04pm

i worked a couple hours after everyone left today. sorry that I wasn't there @ 8:30 like we planned. But I wanted to attend the dedication of Schneider park DGC. I don't know if anyone knows this or not, but if anyone sees Matt Dungan or Carl Peterson down at Portage Lakes or any where else for that matter, thank them. If it wasn't for thier hunger to get this DGC completed, this could of been a 5 year project. We still have a little to go. But I wanted to THANK MATT and CARL ... more

Matt Dungan    May 27, 2011 at 10:28pm

I say we start by cleaning up the fallen tree on 6 (that sucker is huge!) since it makes that hole unplayable. Then we'll go from there. See you guys in the morning.

Carl Peterson    May 25, 2011 at 9:58pm

We have a work day on Saturday, May 28, from 8:30 to 12:00, with a round of golf afterward.

Areas that still need work include: Move brush piles to widen #16. Take down marked trees on #9, 14 and 15. Cut up fallen trees on #18 and 6. Dig basket holes on #14, 15 and #16 (the State will do the others, once it stops raining). Set the bricks on the back 9 tees.
We have enough concrete for about 4 baskets. If you can pick up broken bags at Home Depot/Lowes, etc. for 1/2 price, that would help. We need about 15 more 60-80 lb. bags.

Matt Dungan    May 20, 2011 at 6:26pm

I'm bringing two,my homade one is taller and will work good for 13 and 17

Carl Peterson    May 20, 2011 at 5:07pm

Three baskets for a day. Sounds good!

Matt Dungan    May 20, 2011 at 10:50am

Cool, I'll bring mine also

Dan Clark    May 20, 2011 at 8:23am

I'm bringing my portable and Matt might bring his so we can play the first few of the back in succession.

Dan'hyzer' Kilgore    May 20, 2011 at 7:24am

do u want me to bring my portable so we can play the back 9 some more?

Carl Peterson    May 19, 2011 at 10:13pm

We have a work day on Saturday May 21, from 8:30 to 12:00, with a round of golf afterward. If you haven't seen the back nine, I think you will be impressed by the potential, especially #14 through #18. These are going to be 5 great closing holes!

Areas that still need work include: Move brush piles to widen #16. Take down marked trees on #9 through #15. Cut up fallen tree on #18. Dig basket holes on #15 and #16.

Dan'hyzer' Kilgore    May 17, 2011 at 7:25pm

It's really amazing, just what the few volenteers have accomplished with the amount of work done at Portage Lakes DGc. Only the people who has done the work can really understand. I'm so proud and blessed to be working with these people. We're so close. I can't wait to play the whole course insterad of working in the morning and playing a round afterwards. There's a lot of good people in this area that all mean well that are getting slammed. Unless your part of the movement, stand aside and let the movers and shakers do their thing. And then peace and harmony will surround us all.

Dan'hyzer' Kilgore    May 17, 2011 at 7:17pm

Thanks erock216 for asking the moderator to delete the thread, thanks EW for backing up erock216. I'm not going to even open up the thread because it doesn't matter. I know we're in good graces with the State park dept with the work that we've accomplished so far, because that's what Bill and Steve reconfirmed with us the last time those two talked to the volenteers of the installation of this DGc). Are we going to upset an individual (s) with the installation of thi ... more

erock 216    May 17, 2011 at 12:38pm

they named themselves reality_hurts and reality_bites. it was obviously the same person and i asked the mod's to delete the thread. they did. your welcome.

erock 216    May 17, 2011 at 12:35pm

i found part of the thread cached. i hope this link works. its only page 2. maybe someone can find page 1. i personally pm'd this person and told them to stick it.

eric wernet    May 17, 2011 at 7:57am

No feelings hurt. Just sayin. I did read the thread erock referred to and it wasn't very pleasant. The thread essentially we t on to accuse the dgers of trashing the place and "clear cutting" the fairways. I am glad to hear that both Steve and Bill have said things are good with the park. I know how much work is going on down there, we are all blessed for the efforts. Sorry I missed you in Wooster also, it like you would have handed me my booty yet again. Congrats on the hot round and the PR .